Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Monday, June 22, 2009

The call that changed our life...




On Wednesday morning, June 17th, at 7:00 my phone rang and I looked at it and saw the name of our baby's birth mother...my heart jumped out of my chest! I said hello and she said simply, "It's time!" I really don't know what I said after that, something like "Are you serious?!" or "Really?" She sounded so good and I suddenly realized that I had not packed a bag for us and Shelby was on his way to work! I hung up the phone and called Shelby. He answered...as I ran into the kitchen, I realized he was still home, and I told him, "We're having a baby today!" His eyes were as big as saucers and he immediately started taking his boots off! We left town about 45 minutes later and started out on our 3.5 hour journey. We prayed for a smooth, easy delivery for Georgia's birth mom and it was. I'm fuzzy about the details but she dilated really quickly and at 10:00 AM, after about 15 minutes of pushing, little Georgia Claire was born...all 6 lbs, 14 oz. of her!

We were so very thankful that it happened quickly. We didn't arrive until a little after 11:30 and got to see her for the first time around noon. Later that evening Shelby and I were able to spend a couple hours with Georgia's birth mother and her boyfriend...two hours we will cherish for a very long time!

The next day the hospital discharged Georgia and her birth mother at about 11:45 and we went back to our hotel room for a night of taking care of this little baby! We prayed over her that night and the next morning, that God would bless her little life, whether it was going to be with us, or her birth mother. In the state of Texas, the birth mother has a 48 hour period that she can decide to parent, and that was very real to us that morning as we got ready to leave our hotel and drive to the chosen location to sign papers. Many tears were shed by Shelby and me, but we knew that God was going to be faithful. Georgia's birth mother was an angel that day. She even told me that she didn't want me to feel guilty...which I was feeling. It is so very difficult to see someone so sad who has just made you the happiest you have been in your whole life! There is no protocol written on how to handle these situations, but by the grace of God, we made it! These are definitely uncharted waters that we are in, but we have grown so much and have met this incredible family, one that Shelby and I both feel like are a part of our family now.

No comments:

Post a Comment