Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Monday, May 24, 2010

Low Risk Pregnancy

In the fall of 2005 I was told by a doctor that my chances of having biological children were slim to none. A test he had performed showed what looked like a "T-shaped uterus". Of course I was devastated, went home and cried my eyes out and Shelby came home early that day. I can remember getting on my knees and praying for God to please hear my cry to be a mom. I think by the end of the prayer I was sobbing and lying on the floor. Then, we met Dr. Putman at Baylor in Dallas and suddenly things didn't look so bad! Instead of a "T-shaped uterus" I had what is called a "septate uterus" where there is actually a wall dividing it into two chambers. Dr. Putman gave us hope. He told us he could go in and surgically remove the wall and that we could achieve a successful pregnancy! So, in July of 2006 I had surgery and began my road to recovery and years of fertility treatments and procedures. What we didn't realize at the time was that I also had a severe case of endometriosis and a huge cyst on one of my ovaries. I can remember my first post-op appointment with Dr. Putman and him saying that he couldn't believe I wasn't in more pain. I've always had a high pain tolerance, and he had asked me prior to the surgery if I ever had severe pains...I knew I had pains every month, but I didn't think they were severe. I just thought what I was experiencing were normal pains that every woman went through...guess I was wrong! And so began our journey of taking medication at first, which led to three IUIs which led to two IVFs which led to NO pregnancy. Dr. Putman was stumped...left my case as "unexplained infertility".

Our journey was a tough one but we always knew that a precious baby was in our future. I was determined to do all that we could do to try to achieve pregnancy first, before pursuing adoption, and I'm so glad we did. Those struggles and heartaches and ups and downs on the roller coaster of infertility made our hearts more ready to receive the incredible gift of precious Georgia Claire! By the end of 2008 I was R-E-A-D-Y to be a mom, and by the end of 2008, Georgia's birthmom Julia was making the decision that she was NOT ready to be a mom...all in God's plan.


So, fast forward a year and a half...I had an OB appointment today and heard these words from my doctor-- "You are actually a very low risk pregnancy!" She said it took me awhile to get to this point but I am "a textbook case of a healthy pregnancy"...my weight gain has been great, my stomach is measuring great, & my blood pressure has been great! PRAISE GOD! Here is a picture of me today...26 weeks pregnant.

I thought IF I ever did get pregnant that I would be high risk, possibly on bed rest...God is an amazing, miraculous God and I am so thankful that He is blessing Shelby and me with TWO little girls! =) Here are a couple of pictures of my buddy from today...she was so good at the doctor. My doctor actually asked me if Georgia got sunburned on her legs this weekend but I informed her it was carpet burn from all of the crawling! The girl can MOVE!

2 comments:

  1. I find your story amazing...
    I'm so honored my family is a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ack! look at that smile! oh my ...

    you look beautiful with that baby belly! i am praising God that you are healthy and baby is too. pregnancy is a gift! just thinking out loud here- since you have a high pain tolerance you should consider an unmedicated birth (says your hippy friend).

    ; )

    ReplyDelete