Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Sunday, November 15, 2009

First Work Day at the Farm

For those of you reading this that don't know, my parents grow Virginia Pine Christmas trees and peaches. My family does not own the farm, but it is more of a "share-cropping" type deal with the owner. We started in the early 80's with blueberries. That business grew to Christmas trees and peaches, too! Some of my greatest childhood memories are of the times spent at the farm. Don't get me wrong, there were times when my sisters and I didn't want to go out there to work, but looking back, I am SO glad that we did. My parents instilled a work ethic in all of us that we still have to this day. We work hard at the farm but we get to play at times, too! As my Dad always said growing up (and still does today), "It builds character"!

We are getting ready for opening day of Christmas tree season...less than two weeks away now! We open the day after Thanksgiving and we have families every year that come out, ride the hayride, eat peanuts around a fire, have a snack, and choose & cut their Christmas tree. It is a family tradition for a lot of folks! It is so much fun to see how the families grow and change every year. It is almost like a reunion of sorts for us each year. Shelby & I helped Mom & Dad tag the trees (with size & price) the last couple of days. Georgia was a trooper! I didn't get any pictures of us working, but we DID get pictures of Georgia! She played and then fell asleep in the shade of a huge tree in her jogging stroller...such a great baby! =)


1 comment:

  1. you should have seen all the christmas tree farms in virginia- it was so cool!

    i wish i lived on peach/blueberry/tree farm...one day, maybe!

    ReplyDelete