Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Happy & Complete

On Saturday we had the privilege of sharing our adoption story to couples starting the adoption process with our agency. Two years ago Shelby & I were sitting in the same room, listening intently to the couples who came to share their own stories. It was at that training that God opened our hearts to open adoption. That was in February of 2009, we were chosen by Julia in April of 2009, and Georgia Claire was born in June of 2009! It was surreal to be sitting on the panel with two other adoptive couples, and three birthmoms...with our two baby girls, just two years later! One birthmom, named Heather, had a baby 14 years ago! Another birthmom had given birth just 3 months ago and her emotions were still so fresh-she had a group of friends with her for support. It was so great to see such a sweet outpouring of love for their friend who had just made one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) decision of her life. And then there was Julia-Georgia Claire's birthmom-who shared her story. Julia is just wise beyond her years...so strong, so determined, so mature. I am SO incredibly impressed with her, and forever grateful! I enjoyed hearing her speak about her decision, and I think it was good for the couples in the class to see & hear both sides of Georgia Claire's adoption.

It was also fascinating to hear about the relationship Heather had with her 14 year old daughter. They still talk on the phone and see each other about once a year (or maybe more). It got me thinking about Georgia and what it will be like when she is 14. I hope that she, like Heather's daughter, knows & is able to articulate that her birthmom didn't give her away, but CHOSE parents for her that would provide a nurturing, loving, and supportive home. About 2 months ago I made a photo book through Shutterfly about our first 6 months with Georgia...in it I included pictures of us with Julia when she was pregnant with Georgia, pictures of all of us when she was born, pictures throughout the first 6 months, and I was able to add captions and notes to Georgia, in terms that she will understand when she is very young. I hope that it is something she will treasure always. I hope that she looks through it one day and sees how much she is loved. I pray every day that Shelby & I can show Georgia how truly special she is and how special our journey was to her! God opened the doors wide open and led us straight to our baby girl...it gives me chills every time I think about the timing of it all.

Because Julia and her family all live in the area we were able to meet up with them and have lunch. It was a good visit...good for all of us, I believe!

I LOVE this picture of Julia & Georgia Claire...
Julia's grandparents Dale & Vicki had us at their home for lunch. Georgia Claire LOVED the little rocking chair they had. She got comfy with her blanket really quick! =)
This makes me smile...
(L-R)--Alma, Vicki, Georgia Claire, Dale, Julia & Stacy (5 generations!)

Good of the adults...not so good of the girls, but oh well!
We love you, Julia. Thank you for the life that you gave Georgia Claire, and have given us! Because of you we have a baby girl that makes us smile & laugh every single day. Because of you Ivy Jane has an older sister that makes her smile & laugh every day. Because of you we are a happy, complete family! =)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Becky!
    Why must you make me cry first thing in the morning!?! This is a beautiful post. We had our training this past weekend too. I would love to talk more with you about this.

    love you guys
    -mandi

    ReplyDelete