Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Physical Therapy-Round 2

My baby weighs 19 pounds and is 27 inches long! When did this baby...
become this baby?! I've heard it said so many times that time with your children flies...I'm beginning to see the truth in that statement! Ivy Jane is SOOOO sweet! I'm just as in love with her as I am her big sis, Georgia Claire. These little miracles have me smitten!

Ivy had her 6 month check-up this week and everything looks good, but there is some concern about her neck. About a month ago I took her to the doctor because she was sick but I also had her look at Ivy's neck because I was worried the way she always seemed to hold her head. Her head is almost always turned to the left (you can see it in some of the pictures). I noticed it right away when she was an infant sleeping in her carseat. Everyone told me not to worry that it was just her comfortable spot...probably that way in the womb. My doctor told me last month that she wasn't too concerned but that we would look at it again at her 6 month check-up. As it turns out, it looks like Ivy Jane has a condition known as torticollis or "wry neck" as it used to be called. It happens when the neck muscles contract involuntarily. There are many causes for torticollis...genetic defect, her position during pregnancy or delivery, muscle or bone deformities, inner ear or eye problems, etc. The doctor has ordered a PT evaluation for her. I'm told that usually after some stretching exercises/physical therapy it could be corrected. There is a chance that there is more going on, but I'm praying and believing that Ivy's will be corrected with therapy. We're also seeing a pediatric opthamologist (1st available appt for a new patient was May 9th!) to make sure there is nothing wrong with her eyes. Our doctor has seen children who hold their head at a certain position because they have trouble focusing their eyes. She said that Ivy tracks things well and she doesn't think there is a problem, but she'd rather be overly-cautious. I told her that I'm OK with that...I appreciate that! I'm asking for prayer from those of you who read my blog. Please pray specifically that her issues are tight muscles only, and no other more complicated problems. As you can see, she is a VERY HAPPY baby and it doesn't seem to be bothering her!


1 comment: