Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mother's Intuition

I believe I met an angel yesterday...and her name is Sue! Sue is Ivy Jane's new physical therapist.
As I've written before, Ivy Jane was diagnosed with toricollis...a shortening and tightening of the neck muscles on one side causing a child's head to tilt and chin to turn. I noticed it early on and asked my doctor about it at her 2 week appointment but she dismissed it and just said that it was her comfortable position. Now we know that it was probably positional...meaning it was more than likely her position in utero. We knew she had a hyperextended leg but that seemed to correct itself. Fast forward 6+ months to her first therapy appointment a few weeks ago. I left feeling defeated. I remember thinking, "that's it?!" We saw a PTA who seemed to watch the clock while we were in therapy...her appointment was at 1:00, she didn't get us until 1:05, and I was walking out at 1:25. After shelling out $100 for that visit and learning that it would be $100 twice a week I started praying for wisdom. Ivy Jane was sick on the day of her second scheduled appointment, so I had to cancel. I remembered hearing about ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) when I was a teacher. I really thought it was for low-income families or those who don't have insurance. What I've since learned is that any family can qualify, regardless of income. My sister Angie is an occupational therapist and advocate for her son Will and told me to DEFINITELY go with ECI. So, I made the call and two weeks ago a caseworker came out for a pre-screening appointment.

Today she came back with a physical therapist named Sue. Today I FINALLY got answers. Today I FINALLY felt like someone was listening. Today I FINALLY had a peace that came over me that only God can give. I don't know if Sue knows it, but she is my answered prayer! She has been a pediatric PT for 34 YEARS! She travels the country teaching other therapists and owns her own therapy company, and works in conjunction with ECI. One of the great things about ECI is THEY come to US! SO, our 1 hour appointment was spent on the living room floor, where Ivy Jane plays every day! Her evaluation was eye opening. She said her tortocollis was "extremely significant"-so much so that she was thinking something else was going on. She didn't give me any new stretches to do but instead, after 30+ minutes of questions about Ivy and us taking her onesie off and looking at her back, neck, etc. she suggested we see a pediatric chiropractor! She thinks IJ is out of alignment after discussing it with her I TOTALLY AGREE! It's like a puzzle and we are thinking that all of her problems are related. Does she sleep well? No, not on her firm baby mattress, but on my soft bed or in her bouncy seat-yes. Is she spoiled? Probably not...she's probably uncomfortable on the firm mattress! How are her bowels? She's usually constipated, which I've always thought was strange since I'm breastfeeding. But, if she's out of alignment that could cause her bowels to not function properly. Does she roll over? Not too well...why? Because it hurts! And the list goes on. WOW. My poor baby has probably been uncomfortable since birth...or possibly even before. SO, we go to the chiropractor on Thursday and I cannot wait to hear what he says. He's a dad of a special needs child so he really has a heart for helping kids who are hurting! I hope he is the answer to Ivy Jane's issues. I know that God leads my life, especially regarding decisions about my babies. I feel like he led me to Sue. So, from now on I'm going with my gut feeling, or mother's intuition.

4 comments:

  1. BECKY!!! I didn't know you had a blog! How fun. Now I can keep up with you. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I really missed this whole thing with Ivy Jane- I guess I would have known if I could have subbed at BUNCO. Glad you met your angel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tyne! Yes, I started it right after Georgia Claire was born. It's a great way for us to stay connected to her birth family, as well as relatives & family that are all out of town. I SO LOVE reading your blog! In fact, I need to catch up on it right now!

    ReplyDelete