Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Making Strides

It's hard to believe that Georgia Claire has been in therapy now for over two years! We are seeing HUGE strides in her development, especially her fine motor skills. Her little hands have had little to no muscle tone & now she's able to open bottles, pull stickers off a page with ease, use tweezers, and hold her crayon or marker or pencil the correct way! YIPPEE! 

I've made some simple activities that she enjoys doing at home. Here she is using large tweezers to pick up cotton balls & put into/take out of a divided container. She's even sitting like a big girl now! No more "W" position where she is putting stress on her hips & knees. Kids with low muscle tone find the "W" sitting position comfortable because they do not have to engage their core but it is SO VERY BAD for them! It has been an ongoing struggle for us but she's now correcting herself! 

 I love how she concentrates so...
Another thing we've been working on is the "O"position with her thumb, pointer & middle fingers when holding her crayon or pencil instead of putting all of her fingers around it. She is now doing it without even thinking about it! Such a big girl!

Another activity I made was painting with q-tips where she has to trace the letters holding the q-tip the right way. Such concentration...

 And OH SO PROUD OF HERSELF!
 One more activity that's simple but has been very hard for her in the past is pulling stickers off the page. One day she asked me if she could "decorate" her tray with stickers & of course I said yes! It was after lunch & she sat on the floor working so hard. I let her be & went about my usual picking up, etc. after lunch time. About 30 minutes after she began, I looked over & found her like this...ASLEEP! Look at alllllll of those stickers! She worked SO hard she completely wore herself out!
Have I mentioned lately how much I love this big girl?!?!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you've been busy posting today lady! I enjoyed this mornings posts with my coffee & you guys have been on my mind all day, but that's typical. It made me realize how much I miss your blog. Hint Hint.

    I love the things you are doing with Georgia...very Montessori. We are looking at more things to do with Stephen at home while we are on the move right now. He is improving also, but still weak in many areas.

    Lydia sits in the W...and mom could until just a few years ago! I didn't know it wasn't good for us:) I can't do it, and have trouble sitting Indian style due to scoliosis and hip displacement. Chiropractor told me, "I can tell you've been sitting on the floor wrapping presents!"

    Thanks for all the updates, stories, and wonderful pictures today. Georgia is always on my mind, with your smiling face right alongside. I love you.

    ReplyDelete